openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Linskey <plins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:13:55 GMT
> In which way do you like to access the apache svn?

To date, I've only used svn to access Apache.

> Did you already work with git?

Yes.

> Do you like to use the git-svn bridge for doing all the local
> management with git?

I've done this in the past with an svn repo.

> Do you only like to manage local branches with git (git on top of a
> svn checkout)?

That's an interesting technique!

Ideally, I'd love it if those of us who choose to use git could use
normal git repository collaboration techniques somewhere, and any of
us could then push changes into svn somehow. I've run into problems
with this in the past because of the 'git-svn' text that gets inserted
into the commit messages, which mucks with the SHA-1 identities of
commits, and thus with histories.

I guess with your git-on-top technique, we could push repos to github
that contain just a single branch (or all branches, in exploded
format), and we'd be able to collaborate meaningfully, but with svn-
style "project branching" instead of git-style.

FTR, I tried to 'git svn clone' the Apache repo last night, and got
this after about 45 mins:

> RA layer request failed: REPORT request failed on '/repos/asf/!svn/
> vcc/default': REPORT of '/repos/asf/!svn/vcc/default': 403 Forbidden
> (https://svn.apache.org) at /usr/local/git/libexec/git-core/git-svn
> line 3957

-Patrick

--