openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 22:14:19 GMT
Hi Craig!

Answers inside...

--- Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM> schrieb am Di, 9.12.2008:

> Von: Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM>
> Betreff: Re: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
> An: dev@openjpa.apache.org
> CC: infrastructure@apache.org
> Datum: Dienstag, 9. Dezember 2008, 19:15
> There is a group inside Apache who are advocating for an
> official git repo managed by Apache infrastructure. The
> discussion is ongoing...
You may contact Jason van Zyl, with whom I had a similar discussion more than 1 year or so
ago. I can remember that he was quite happy with git.

> I am not an expert on git, so take this as an observation
> more than fact: One big concern with git is the lack of
> "accountability" with code changes. Once code has
> been pushed to a git repo, the identity of the committer is
> lost, or at least not easily found. And unlike having the
> code attached to a JIRA, with an explicit "Apache
> licensed contribution" there is no automatic way to
> guarantee that a git-managed code change is actually
> intended as a contribution.
Actually it is exactly the opposite! If you use git the git way, then the information about
the author, his email, the date of the change and the original commit msg is preserved, regardless
of how many pulls and repos are between the creation and the last merge.
The 2nd argument is therefore also not that a problem. You can bet that Linus did take care
a lot about this after the SCO trial ;)

> The other big concern is transparency. Without a
> centrally-managed git repo (see above) there is no way for
> the community to easily see what is being developed where.
That's kind of true. In practice this is not such a big problem since the changes will be
reflected in the main svn.

> I have no dog in this hunt. My aim is for the OpenJPA team
> to be as productive and engaged as possible, while staying
> true to the spirit and rules of the foundation. So for now,
> creating and using git-on-svn is fine for individuals, but
> to use git project-wide needs more explicit guidance from
> the foundation.
This would imho require official support from the Apache infrastructure team.

LieGrue,
strub