openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Turn off enhancement by subclassing as the default
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:19:33 GMT
Hi Patrick,

On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 1:11 AM, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@gmail.com> wrote:

> What is the impact of your proposal on people who are using Sun-ish 1.6
> VMs, which have on-the-fly class redefinition support?
>
> Put another way, to what extent have you considered the differences in
> flakiness between the 1.5-friendly subclassing approach and the 1.6-needing
> redefinition approach?

Excellent question.  To be honest, I didn't know that we ended up with
different "subclassing" behavior when using a 1.5 JVM vs a 1.6 JVM.  I
thought the reported problems were equally applied to both JVM versions.  Do
we know that the 1.6 redefinition capabilities avoid the reported problems?
Has anybody spent any cycles on that approach?

Maybe something to think about is to turn off the subclassing support for
the 1.5 JVM and leave the class redefinition support on for the 1.6 JVM?  I
really don't know enough about these alternate approaches to make that kind
of statement at this point.

Other thoughts?

Thanks,
Kevin