openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject [VOTE] Turn off enhancement by subclassing as the default
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 00:25:51 GMT
Hi,
This is a tough decision, but one that I think we need to make.  If you have
been following the dev mailing list, there have been several discussions [1]
and JIRA Issues [2] about the fallback enhancement by subclassing that we
put in place back in the 1.0.0 timeframe.  Although we succeeded in making
the initial out-of-box experience easier for the newbie OpenJPA developer,
we also masked the need for true enhancement for production usage.  So,
unless we deem that this subclassing enhancement is critical to OpenJPA's
acceptance and usage, I propose to turn this option off by default.  The
ability to do this subclass enhancement will still be available via the
openjpa.RuntimeUnenhancedClasses property, but the default will now be
either "warn" or "unsupported" instead of "supported".  I would like to do
this for trunk for sure and possibly the 1.3.x branch as well.  Please vote
accordingly.  Thanks for your input.  Write-in comments are also welcome.

[ +1 | 0 | -1 ]  Turn off subclass enhancement in trunk
[ +1 | 0 | -1 ]  Turn off subclass enhancement in 1.3.x

I am not proposing to turn it off in the other branches since those are not
active development streams, but rather service streams.  We shouldn't
introduce a change like this into a customer's service stream.  That is, for
a customer to get 1.0.4 with this option turned off would be a surprise
since they would only be expecting fixes.  Fine line in this case, but you
get the picture.

Thanks,
Kevin

[1]