openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 15:19:36 GMT
Yes, that's what the whole thing about git is!

This usually works the following:

I see some bug I like to fix, or have some improvement and like to implement it.
I then setup a local git repo for this project and fix the issues.
I commit the local changes into my git-repo and push them to some public repo (e.g. my private
http://ns1.backwork.net/git)
The next step is to ping the mailing list or the maintainer of this plugin and tell him to
clone/pull my changes. ( e.g.
>$ git-clone http://ns1.backwork.net/git/openjpa-maven-plugin.git
)
If the changes are ok, he'll merge them into svn and commit it to the main repo.

The benefit over svn sandboxes is huge: no authorisation problem, easy merging, other users
can come up with an alternate approach/fix for the fix by cloning and changing + pushing to
their repos, etc

A good and also really amusing overview about how to develop with git (from a google speech
by Linus Torvalds himself):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8

LieGrue,
strub