openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Dianne Richards" <diann...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Turn off enhancement by subclassing as the default
Date Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:32:41 GMT
All - I've been looking into the Sun 1.6 registration of a transformer as
mentioned by Patrick and here are the results:

1. The InstrumentationFactory does a
Class.forName("com.sun.tools.attach.VirtualMachine") and uses the attach
method of that class to load the agent.

2. When I ran it, the initial code in InstrumentationFactory worked. But,
when I turned off support for RuntimeUnenhancedClasses, it failed later on
in the process. The only thing my test case is doing is creating an
EntityManagerFactory and an EntityManager. I'm assuming there are some later
checks that can be enhanced to allow this to work, but I haven't gone that
far yet.

3. HOWEVER, the VirtualMachine class is not in the default classpath. It's
in the lib/tools.jar, which I had to manually add to the classpath in order
to get this far. So, this is not an out-of-the-box solution.

4. I also tried this with the IBM jdk 6, since the tools.jar with this class
is also shipped with it. When it tried to attach, I got an
AttachNotSupportedException with the message "Unable to enqueue operation,
pre-6.0 jvm.dll?" This doesn't sound too promising.

--
Thanks - Dianne