openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject AW: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 11:08:58 GMT
Hi Patrick!

In which way do you like to access the apache svn?

Did you already work with git?

Do you only like to manage local branches with git (git on top of a svn checkout)?

Do you like to use the git-svn bridge for doing all the local management with git?

The way I use git for Apache projects is the 'git on top' approach (I'll be more verbose since
I do not know what you already know):

1.) do a svn co
2.) create a .gitignore file which contains /target and .svn
3.) modify my .svnignore to contain .git and .gitignore
4.) $> git-init
5.) $> git-add src
6.) $> git-status    to check if the index doesn't contain crap
7.) $> git-commit -m"initial import from SVN"

I subsequently do some svn update and commit them to my local git master branche.
In parallel I do test branches with
$> git-checkout -b mytestbranch
see git-branch for more info

If the changes work out, you can merge them into master and afterwards perform a svn commit
to the Apache repo.

Another way would be to use the git-svn bridge. pro: you'd have the whole history in git (so
you could do a git-blame for example) con: you cannot use mvn scm (e.g. for releasing), since
the maven-scm-providers-svn relies on having a SVN structure locally and the maven-scm-providers-git
relies on having a remote git repo...

LieGrü,
strub