openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OpenJPA 2.0 milestone releases
Date Fri, 05 Dec 2008 15:11:08 GMT
Hi Jeremy,

On Fri, Dec 5, 2008 at 8:50 AM, Jeremy Bauer <techhusky@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike,
> I was thinking the same thing.  Providing milestone releases as an OpenJPA
> published, mostly stable, tested release with clear definition of the new
> function it includes.  Based on Craig's observation, I don't know that
> means
> we have to include the -Mx- identifier in the builds though.  I think it
> would help us (dev) and users identify which milestone version of code is
> in
> development and use, but it does have obvious maintenance implications.  If
> we do not publish official maven releases maybe Mx it isn't required -
> could
> we add the Mx at the point when we do the milestone build?

There's no reason why we can't add Mx at a later time. That would be a
benefit to users who always want the latest snapshot, regardless of the
milestone.

Users who want a specific milestone can specify the latest one from the
snapshot repos (or central if we do a formal release).

> Regarding a maven publish, is it possible to publish a release to the maven
> repository, say an M1 release and not branch off or create a corresponding
> M1 release in JIRA?  It may be useful to publish milestone releases in
> maven
> (for those who use maven), but not add the overhead of creating an svn
> branch which we do not intend (and wouldn't make sense) to maintain.

JIRA versions and Maven releases are totally separate entities (pun not
intended). Similarly a release in JIRA is not necessarily tied to a branch
in SVN.

I'd be inclined to publish Mx builds to the SNAPSHOT repository (less
stringent checking - quicker to publish). Create a JIRA release for it (so
we can track when issues crop up and when they're fixed). Create a tag in
SVN for easy access, but do not create a branch.

I'm open to other ideas though,

-mike