openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 18:15:47 GMT
There is a group inside Apache who are advocating for an official git
repo managed by Apache infrastructure. The discussion is ongoing...

I am not an expert on git, so take this as an observation more than
fact: One big concern with git is the lack of "accountability" with
code changes. Once code has been pushed to a git repo, the identity of
the committer is lost, or at least not easily found. And unlike having
the code attached to a JIRA, with an explicit "Apache licensed
contribution" there is no automatic way to guarantee that a git-
managed code change is actually intended as a contribution.

The other big concern is transparency. Without a centrally-managed git
repo (see above) there is no way for the community to easily see what
is being developed where.

I have no dog in this hunt. My aim is for the OpenJPA team to be as
productive and engaged as possible, while staying true to the spirit
and rules of the foundation. So for now, creating and using git-on-svn
is fine for individuals, but to use git project-wide needs more
explicit guidance from the foundation.

Craig

On Dec 9, 2008, at 7:58 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Yeah, git is amazing. Lets you do lots of interesting things,
> collaboration-wise.
>
> That said, I imagine that we want to stay with the Apache Way for
> our primary source repository story, which means svn for the
> foreseeable future I'd imagine. I expect that we'd see a lot of
> benefit by moving to svn 1.5 (which has proper merge support, and
> thus helps a lot with branching).
>
> -Patrick
>
> On Dec 9, 2008, at 6:18 AM, Kevin Sutter wrote:
>
>> This sounds interesting.  It sounds like we could provide for
>> multiple
>> "build levels" and only promote changes when they are really
>> ready.  All of
>> this without requiring the use of sandboxes.  Or, am I reading more
>> into
>> this?
>>
>> Kevin
>>
>> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 5:08 AM, Mark Struberg <struberg@yahoo.de>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Patrick!
>>>
>>> In which way do you like to access the apache svn?
>>>
>>> Did you already work with git?
>>>
>>> Do you only like to manage local branches with git (git on top of
>>> a svn
>>> checkout)?
>>>
>>> Do you like to use the git-svn bridge for doing all the local
>>> management
>>> with git?
>>>

>>> The way I use git for Apache projects is the 'git on top' approach
>>> (I'll be
>>> more verbose since I do not know what you already know):
>>>
>>> 1.) do a svn co
>>> 2.) create a .gitignore file which contains /target and .svn
>>> 3.) modify my .svnignore to contain .git and .gitignore
>>> 4.) $> git-init
>>> 5.) $> git-add src
>>> 6.) $> git-status    to check if the index doesn't contain crap
>>> 7.) $> git-commit -m"initial import from SVN"
>>>
>>> I subsequently do some svn update and commit them to my local git
>>> master
>>> branche.
>>> In parallel I do test branches with
>>> $> git-checkout -b mytestbranch
>>> see git-branch for more info
>>>
>>> If the changes work out, you can merge them into master and
>>> afterwards
>>> perform a svn commit to the Apache repo.
>>>

>>> Another way would be to use the git-svn bridge. pro: you'd have
>>> the whole
>>> history in git (so you could do a git-blame for example) con: you
>>> cannot use
>>> mvn scm (e.g. for releasing), since the maven-scm-providers-svn
>>> relies on
>>> having a SVN structure locally and the maven-scm-providers-git
>>> relies on
>>> having a remote git repo...
>>>

>>> LieGrü,
>>> strub