openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Struberg <strub...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: AW: [OT] git and Apache's svn?
Date Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:06:05 GMT
Regarding git-svn vs 'git on top'

There's no free lunch, as ever ;)

The git on top technique also has a few flaws:
If a small group uses git to develop a feature (e.g. in an own branch), this changes have
to be commited into SVN at the end of the day. In my local scenario, where I (or one of my
direct colleagues) do all the work it doesn't matter who did exactly what. So I only do one
single commit to my SVN repo with all the changes cumulated.

But in an OSS project where many people work on a feature, you may get 30++ commits in almost
no time. And it would be nice to keep all the history we have in git at least textual via
the commit msg. For CVS there is something called git-cvsexportcommit, but I cannot remember
if there is something similar for SVN.

So there is a little bit left to do. But that is nothing which cannot be fixed with a little
shell script ;)

LieGrue,
strub

PS: I also had problems with git-svn when I worked on maven-scm. Have you tried to --limit
the history while importing? I mean, do we really need _all_ the history from SVN in our git
repo?