openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:41:42 GMT
On Mon, Nov 17, 2008 at 2:23 PM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org> wrote:

> > What relevance does this possible EG sourced jar have to this
> > discussion?  My understanding was that you wouldn't use it even if it
> > existed.
>
> If JPA EG has released source for JPA 2.0 API, then it provides a
> checkpoint
> for source API we may create independently.

Even if the Expert Group would provide source, we (OpenJPA, Geronimo, etc)
would not want to use it due to licensing concerns.  We have to base our API
code off of the specification itself.  That is, create the source parts
based off the text in the specification.

> > I have no problem applying patches promptly and pushing snapshots.
> OK let us try one iteration with a small patch to see how does that this
> process go.  I am attaching a patch for new Criteria API definitions.
> http://n2.nabble.com/file/n1511117/jpa2.0-update-1.0-patch.txt
> jpa2.0-update-1.0-patch.txt
>
> This patch is an overlay over
>
> https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/specs/trunk/geronimo-jpa_3.0_spec/src/main/

Although David might be a nice guy and accept this patch, the normal process
would be just like somebody contributing to OpenJPA -- you would attach a
patch to the JIRA issue.  Based on this string of notes, it looks like
Jeremy had created JIRA Issue GERONIMO-4410 (
https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4410).  So, I would think you
should post the patch to that JIRA Issue.

Personally, I would rather see us develop the first cut at OpenJPA first and
then post our tested version to the Geronimo Issue.  We could easily create
the first cut in our "sandbox", ensure everything builds and tests, and then
provide the patch to Geronimo.

Thanks,
Kevin