openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0
Date Mon, 10 Nov 2008 21:13:04 GMT
Hi Jeremy,

On Nov 10, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Jeremy Bauer wrote:

> OpenJPA & Geronimo devs,
> Efforts are underway to begin JPA 2.0 enhancements in OpenJPA.
> OpenJPA
> builds with and bundles the Geronimo JPA 1.0 spec jar.  As we move
> forward
> to JPA 2.0, OpenJPA will need to use/provide updated spec APIs.
> Like EJB
> 3.1, JPA 2.0 is still in the review stages so there may be frequent
> updates
> to the spec API until the final draft is published.   This leads to
> questions of "who, how, and where" for updating the JPA spec APIs to
> JPA
> 2.0.
>
> IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.

+1

Even if the expert group shortly publishes a spec jar, it will not
have the proper license.

> Ideally, the
> Geronimo project will have a branch for JPA 2.0 spec development,
> with the
> OpenJPA project providing the JPA 2.0 enhancements.  The concern
> with that
> approach is that the OpenJPA committers cannot commit to the Geronimo
> repository.

Not yet, but surely this can be fixed.

> OpenJPA would need committers on the Geronimo project to do
> code commits and builds of the spec jar.  This may become a burden
> on the
> Geronimo project and may be a potential (albeit small) bottleneck for
> OpenJPA development.   Another alternative is for the OpenJPA
> project to
> temporarily update and maintain the 2.0 spec API (using the current
> Geronimo
> spec API as a starting point) while JPA 2.0 is in flux.  Major
> revisions
> and/or the final could then be provided to Geronimo to be published
> in the
> Geronimo repository, with the end goal of OpenJPA (and others) using
> the
> spec jar provided by Geronimo.

Assuming that the Geronimo PMC trusts the OpenJPA committers, one or
three OpenJPA developers should be given commit access to the portion
of the repository that contains the spec jar. With suitable tests to
make sure that we don't break the Geronimo build, this should be
straightforward.

Craig

> Thoughts/ideas/opinions?
>
> -Jeremy (OpenJPA committer)