openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Fernando Padilla <f...@alum.mit.edu>
Subject slices, collocation
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:01:26 GMT
So, now that I have some attention, I'll post up a question I sent out a
month ago.

I want to make a connected datamodel, but I want to put objects on
different databases..

Let's say I have 3 objects:

User (slice root)
  - name

Group (slice root)
  - name
  - users

Comment (slice grouped with group)
  - group
  - user
  - text

As you can see they are all inter-related.  But I let's say I want to
distribute Users and Groups across databases.  But they are related, but
can't be collocated.

So can you help me understand the "collocation" limitation of slices,
and a way to enhance it to remove this limitation ( if I understand it
properly ).

ps - If i understand the limitation, I can't have a ManyToMany
relationship from Group to Users, or ManyToOne from Comment to User,
instead I would have to have a set of userIds.  And I would have to load
up each user object myself through code.