openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:05:44 GMT

On Nov 17, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> 1. Where is the 'JPA 2.0 spec jar'? Has JSR group released a API
> jar? I do
> not know of any.
> Can someone tell me if such a jar which corresponds to the API of
> JPA Review
> Dfaft version 2.0 dated Oct 31, 2008?

What relevance does this possible EG sourced jar have to this
discussion?  My understanding was that you wouldn't use it even if it

> 2. If there is no such jar currently available, then do we (OpenJPA
> developers) create one?
> 3. Is there any legal issues with that? If it is legally not
> permissible to
> create one, should we go to a meta-stable state of creating a
> openjpa-2.0-api.jar of our own?

What does the draft spec say?  The draft ee 6 specs I've seen say that
you can release jars as long as they are marked "early access" or the
equivalent.  I haven't looked at the jpa 2.0 spec.  I've been using *-
EA-SNAPSHOT as the version.

> 3. > IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.
> I agree in long term and beg to differ in short-term. The JPA spec jar
> should be added to Geronimo repository *after* it has been publicly
> released
> by JPA Spec committee. This will help the OpenJPA developers to
> proceed with
> a tentative openjpa-2.0-api.jar for JPA 2.0 feature development but
> will
> also save Geronimo developers extra work to update a 'spec jar'
> which is
> neither public nor stable.

Of course you are free to decide to do anything you want.  I have no
problem applying patches promptly and pushing snapshots.  I would
expect it to involve less pom updating to start out with the jar you
intend to end with and only have to change the version, presumably
with a root pom property.

david jencks