openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Updating the JPA spec jar for JPA 2.0
Date Mon, 17 Nov 2008 19:05:44 GMT

On Nov 17, 2008, at 8:52 AM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> 1. Where is the 'JPA 2.0 spec jar'? Has JSR group released a API
> jar? I do
> not know of any.
> Can someone tell me if such a jar which corresponds to the API of
> JPA Review
> Dfaft version 2.0 dated Oct 31, 2008?

What relevance does this possible EG sourced jar have to this
discussion?  My understanding was that you wouldn't use it even if it
existed.

> 2. If there is no such jar currently available, then do we (OpenJPA
> developers) create one?
>
> 3. Is there any legal issues with that? If it is legally not
> permissible to
> create one, should we go to a meta-stable state of creating a
> openjpa-2.0-api.jar of our own?

What does the draft spec say?  The draft ee 6 specs I've seen say that
you can release jars as long as they are marked "early access" or the
equivalent.  I haven't looked at the jpa 2.0 spec.  I've been using *-
EA-SNAPSHOT as the version.

> 3. > IMHO, it would be best if the spec jar resides in Geronimo.
> I agree in long term and beg to differ in short-term. The JPA spec jar
> should be added to Geronimo repository *after* it has been publicly
> released
> by JPA Spec committee. This will help the OpenJPA developers to
> proceed with
> a tentative openjpa-2.0-api.jar for JPA 2.0 feature development but
> will
> also save Geronimo developers extra work to update a 'spec jar'
> which is
> neither public nor stable.

Of course you are free to decide to do anything you want.  I have no
problem applying patches promptly and pushing snapshots.  I would
expect it to involve less pom updating to start out with the jar you
intend to end with and only have to change the version, presumably
with a root pom property.

thanks
david jencks