openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Pinaki Poddar <ppod...@apache.org>
Subject Re: openjpa-slices
Date Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:09:10 GMT

Hi,
> I have finished walking through the whole slices code, and it looks good.

"Proof of the pudding is in eating" :)

> I think we need to have a plugin to figure out the slice targets the
> queries run against. Currently this is > supported through query "hints",
> but I think that is a really bad choice,

The "bad choice" is made to ensure JPA API stability. So far, one of the
strong design constraints in Slice is to place minimal demand to an existing
JPA application and Query hints being a JPA concept, we decided to leverage
the same for narrowing the target slices for a query. But more on this
follows...

> when really the ReplicationPolicy is the one that should decide which
> classes are replicated and how...

An alternative design possibility is to reinterpret DistributionPolicy
itself and deprecate ReplicationPolicy and @Replicated altogether. The
modified DistributionPolicy method should return an array or list of slice
names -- with the semantics that return value of more than one slices imply
that the input entity is to be replicated.
If we go by that route of modifying DistributionPolicy then it can also
incorporate the Query targets as per your suggestions.