openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject JPA 2.0 development plans...
Date Tue, 30 Sep 2008 16:10:24 GMT
Due to the upcoming JPA 2.0 development activities, the OpenJPA svn
repository needs to make a few changes.  Since the JPA 2.0 changes could be
disruptive to current JPA 1.0 processing (at least during initial
development), I would like to create a 1.3.x service branch.  This 1.3.x
branch would indicate the end of new development based on the JPA 1.0
specification.  This 1.3.x branch could be used for any necessary support
activities (or even a potential release, if necessary), but the mainline
trunk would now become the basis for JPA 2.0 development (2.0.0-SNAPSHOT).

All new development activity would continue in trunk, just like the past.
But, we would also have the ability to start experimenting with some of the
new features that have been identified in the early drafts of the JPA 2.0
specification.  Granted, we only have the single Early Draft Review version
of the JPA 2.0 spec, but it's at least a start.  Even if we have to modify a
few things along the way, at least we're getting experience with the new
specification.  And, we can initiate a roadmap for the new features and
hopefully encourage new participation by the diverse OpenJPA community.

We need to determine the "best date" for this cutover.  Since I'm not sure
on the current development activities of the OpenJPA developers, let's use
this thread for the discussion.  Since the end of Sept is fast approaching,
let's shoot for Friday, Oct 31 as the cutover date.

Comments or suggestions are welcome!

Kevin