openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Updates to entities via Lifecycle callback methods
Date Mon, 22 Sep 2008 20:54:51 GMT
Hi,
I've been talking to MikeD about this and I thought I should get some input
from other experts...

In the EntityListener methods, we can pass an instance of the entity to the
method invocation.  Is it valid for these methods to update this entity
instance?  The JPA spec and Pro EJB3 book don't indicate one way or the
other.  And, all of the examples cited just show read only usage of the
entities passed in.  The spec is clear that you can't utilize EntityManager
and Query operations, but it doesn't qualify what you can or can not do to
the entity itself.

The specific scenario that I am experiencing is a @PreUpdate method is
calling a setter method on one of it's attributes.  OpenJPA is getting a
little confused with this since this processing is updating the @Version
field (when it really doesn't need to).  So, the commit rolls back due to
inconsistent @Version values.  And, due to this update-within-an-update, we
end up calling the @PostUpdate listener twice for the same entity instance.
Like I said, we get kind of confused.

Before I open a JIRA to address this problem, I'm wondering whether anybody
is reading the spec differently and this should not be allowed.  (BTW, I'm
hearing that Hibernate can process this okay, but I have not been able to
confirm this.)

Comments and discussion welcome.

Thanks,
Kevin