openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Remove toString from children of OpenJPAId - Please - please - please
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 17:38:00 GMT
Hi Frederic,

In order to remove the toString method, a patch needs to be made to
the code. And then the test suite needs to be run in order to see if
there are any side effects. And if there are, rewrite the code that
might be using the toString method to use another method.

I'd like to see this resolved. Could you put a bit more energy into
the solution?

And please file a JIRA so we don't lose it.

Thanks,

Craig

On Apr 8, 2008, at 12:40 PM, Frederic_Bellier@capgroup.com wrote:

> [...]
>                                       dev@openjpa.apache.org
>             Sent
> by:                                                   cc
>             Craig.Russell@Sun
>             .COM
> Subject
>                                       Re: Remove toString from
> children
>                                       of OpenJPAId - Please - please -
>             04/07/2008 04:30          please
>             PM
>

>             Please respond to
>             dev@openjpa.apach
>                   e.org
>

> Hi Abe,
>
> On Apr 7, 2008, at 8:57 AM, Abe White wrote:
>
>> I believe parts of OpenJPA may rely on being able to stringify an id
>> and
>> then reconstruct it using the id class's Class,string constructor.
>> (And
>> if not OpenJPA, then certainly Kodo's JDO bindings).
>
> Right, so the String should be the more detailed String but with the
> actual subclass name instead of the superclass.
>
> So isn't this a bug, for which we would dearly love to see a patch?
>
> Craig
>
> P.S. As Patrick pointed out, anyone can play with the code via svn and
> see where the problem is and how to fix it.
>
> It might be good to start with a test case and we can discuss whether
> the behavior currently implemented is correctly designed.
>>

>> On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 17:32 -0700, Frederic_Bellier@capgroup.com
>> wrote:
>>> I dont think anyone responded to this request yet - so I am asking
>>> again
>>>
>>> I would like OpenJPA to remove all the toString() method on all
>>> children
>>> class of OpenJPAId.
>>>
>>> Reason: OpenJPAId class already has the toString() and it handles
>>> it well.
>>> It puts the type and the id together - like this:
>>> com.myCompany.Account-2345
>>> This is very useful behavior when managing a cache (or even looking
>>> into
>>> the log file).
>>> Currently all the children have their own toString() which just
>>> outputs the
>>> id - This is not useful becuase it is not possible to distinguish
>>> between
>>> the types inside one cache. All types in the cache are
>>> DataCachePCData.
>>>
>>> Frederic
>>>
>>> PS: Can someone give me check in right in the code base... ;) -
>>> Have a good
>>> week end everyone.

>> contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries  and
>> affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,  proprietary,
>> copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is intended solely for
>> the use of the individual or entity named in this message. If you
>> are not the intended recipient, and have received this message in
>> error, please immediately return this by email and then delete it.

Craig L Russell