openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Collaborative Testing
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:02:47 GMT
Comments inline

On Thu, Jul 3, 2008 at 10:50 AM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@apache.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>   A growing body of developers are using OpenJPA and reporting their use
> case scenarios, error report via the Nabble posts. This process generates
> wealth of unstructured information.
>
>  Here is a proposal to add some structure to it:
>
> 1. We publish and distribute the common utilities of OpenJPA's JUnit based
> test harness.

+1. Adding an openjpa-test module in maven seems like a good way to go.

FWIW I experimented with using Maven classifiers to create a separate
openjpa-persistence-jdbc-1.x.y-tests.jar earlier. The downside I ran into
was that this tests artifact could be found from other top level projects
but was not found for other submodules (ex. openjpa-slice wouldn't have
access to openjpa-p-jdbc-tests). This approach might bear further
investigation in the future..

> 2. We request/mandate that submission of a JIRA report accompany a test
> case
> written in accordance to OpenJPA-JUnit based tests.

+1 to requesting a testcase ( I doubt we can mandate one).

> This way, we can build a diverse test corpus gradually.
>
> To get this done, we need to
> 1. Document our JUnit Test harness related classes (such as
> SingleEMFTestCase etc.). They already are well-documented -- perhaps a
> small
> write-up on 'How to write OpenJPA test' manual.

I think I'd prefer do document this on a publicly editable section of the
wiki. I for one find the wiki a lot easier to edit than docbook and I'd
rather not add another artifact that we need to publish, sign and deploy
with the release process.