openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Collaborative Testing
Date Thu, 03 Jul 2008 16:57:40 GMT
Hi Pinaki,

On Jul 3, 2008, at 8:50 AM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> Hi,
>   A growing body of developers are using OpenJPA and reporting their
> use
> case scenarios, error report via the Nabble posts. This process
> generates
> wealth of unstructured information.
>
>  Here is a proposal to add some structure to it:
>
> 1. We publish and distribute the common utilities of OpenJPA's JUnit
> based
> test harness.

We already do this, don't we?

> 2. We request/mandate that submission of a JIRA report accompany a
> test case
> written in accordance to OpenJPA-JUnit based tests.

Mandate might be a bit strong, but given documentation (see below) we
can certainly encourage people to provide regression tests.

> This way, we can build a diverse test corpus gradually.
>
> To get this done, we need to
> 1. Document our JUnit Test harness related classes (such as
> SingleEMFTestCase etc.). They already are well-documented -- perhaps
> a small
> write-up on 'How to write OpenJPA test' manual.

This seems to be the biggest hurdle. Figuring out which test class to
inherit and which package to put the test case into, and whether there
is an existing schema/mapping/test class that fits the requirement.

Perhaps encouraging users to name the test something like
Regression659.java to refer to OPENJPA-659 might be useful  as well.

> 2. Extend our build so that these tests classes are distributed with
> their
> source code in a separate bundle.

This sounds like a lot of work, but might be easier than getting
contributors to check out and build the source tree from svn.

> 3. Promote the users' to contribute their test cases

+1

Craig