openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Srinivasa Segu" <srinivasa.s...@oracle.com>
Subject RE: svn commit: r670740 - in /openjpa/branches/wls-maintenance: ./ 1000mp1/
Date Wed, 25 Jun 2008 20:34:14 GMT
Sorry for the late response (hadn't been watching the alias). The intent of the branch (original
email) was to see if we could only have minimal set of vital changes in the branch that could
be used for Weblogic maintenance-packs.

- Srinivasa

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig.Russell@Sun.COM [mailto:Craig.Russell@Sun.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, June 25, 2008 12:08 PM
To: dev@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Re: svn commit: r670740 - in /openjpa/branches/wls-maintenance: ./ 1000mp1/

I agree with Kevin that we should eschew vendor tags in the OpenJPA
repository.

It should be sufficient to have maintenance folks know from which
branch a maintenance release was cut (r547073, openjpa/trunk/ is
really where you shipped from??? After creating a 1.1.0 tag?). And we
now have trunk, 1.1.x, and 1.0.x branches as active code lines.

The only reason that I can think of to have a vendor tag is so you can
do vendor maintenance in it. And I don't think we want to do that. If
you need to make patches for specific customers, it seems that a local
repository would be appropriate. And once the patch is verified to
work, put the update into an Apache svn branch.

What do others think?

Craig

On Jun 23, 2008, at 2:36 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:

> Wait a minute, Srinivasa.  This doesn't seem right.  I will admit
> that I
> didn't see your original posting asking for guidance, but I really
> don't
> think we want WebLogic, WebSphere, Geronimo, or any other vendor's
> specific
> maintenance releases housed in the OpenJPA SVN repository.
>
> It looks like WebLogic shipped something between the 0.9.7-
> incubating and
> the official 1.0.0 release.  Is there some reason why you couldn't
> just
> support your WebLogic customers using the 1.0.x service stream?  It
> would
> seem that customers would appreciate using an official release (post
> incubation) instead of the the one WebLogic initially shipped.
>
> Do you need a complete branch?  Or, are you just interested in
> tagging the
> branch so that you can easily find the start of your service stream?
>
> I think we need to do something different here.  I don't like the
> approach
> that you used.
>
> Kevin
>
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 3:36 PM, <ssegu@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Author: ssegu
>> Date: Mon Jun 23 13:36:41 2008
>> New Revision: 670740

>> Log:
>> Branched from revision that BEA WebLogic Server 10.0 MP1 was released
>> from(rev #547073).
>>
>> http://www.nabble.com/OpenJPA-branches-td16547180.html#a16547180
>>
>> Added:
>>   openjpa/branches/wls-maintenance/
>>   openjpa/branches/wls-maintenance/1000mp1/
>>     - copied from r547073, openjpa/trunk/

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!