openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Vorburger" <mvorbur...@odyssey-group.com>
Subject Disable dangerous "fallback enhancement" how?
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2008 12:45:44 GMT
Hello,

In my experience, that "fallback enhancement" mode (see http://openjpa.apache.org/docs/latest/manual/ref_guide_pc_enhance.html#ref_guide_pc_enhance_unenhanced_types)
causes much more havoc and trouble and confusion than that it's of any use. (I'm not just
ranting, but saying this based on experience with people starting to adopt an OpenJPA-based
piece in-house here - more than once, problems like "but it does way to many too much DB access!"
are because of this.)

The fact that https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-293 is still an Open New Feature,
with five open sub-tasks (so technically this development was never finished, yet it's automatically
activated and shows up in the official doc) and in e.g. https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/OPENJPA-444
(and may be others?) there are bug reports which are probably only due to this, may support
my point of view?

It would much rather that if Entities are not enhanced at build time (which we do, through
Maven; but sometimes a developers has Eclipse overwriting) and the Agent (which developers
are encouraged to do when developing locally e.g. in JUnit Test for rapid cycles) is not in
use, that instead of going to that "fallback enhancement" mode, it would abort and say "Use
the build-time Enhancer or specify the Agent to Enhance at Run-Time (or deploy into a EJB
container which does enhancement)".

How about some sort of OpenJPA configuration property for this? For backward compatibility,
now that it's out, it probably has be remain ON by default (or can you make it OFF by default?),
but at least give us a configuration option to switch this *#ç mode ;-) off! Shall I file
a new JIRA Enhancement requesting this?

Thanks,
Michael

PS: In the short term, I may make our own OpenJPA wrapper/helper stuff to abort... it should
be relatively easy to check at start-up if some class implements org.apache.openjpa.enhance.PersistenceCapable
(by the Enhancer), but how could I check if, alternatively, the Agent is actively running?

_____________________________
Michael Vorburger, Odyssey Financial Technologies
Direct phone:  +41 21 310 00 86 (OAMS VOIP: 1086)
Cell phone: +41 78 805 5541
Mailto: mvorburger@odyssey-group.com

• This email and any files transmitted with it are CONFIDENTIAL and intended
• Any unauthorized copying, disclosure, or distribution of the material within
  this email is strictly forbidden.
• Any views or opinions presented within this e-mail are solely those of the
  author and do not necessarily represent those of Odyssey Financial
Technologies SA unless otherwise specifically stated.
• An electronic message is not binding on its sender. Any message referring to
• If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately
  and delete the original.