openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "David Wisneski" <wisnes...@gmail.com>
Subject commit
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 17:14:42 GMT
I appears that when running in a RESOURCE_LOCAL environment with a
nonJTA datasource, in either J2EE or J2SE,  when an application calls
EntityManager.getEntityTransaction().commit()  a sql commit may or may
not actually occur.  If there are no updated objects flushed to the
database, then the commit is quietly ignored.   However,  the user may
be holding read locks if the transactionIsolation was repeatable-read
and these locks will not be released.  The user may have done
nativeSQL which may or may not have done updates or the user may have
obtained the connection from the Broker and have done his or her own
sql directly to the database.

OpenJPA is being too aggressive in its optimization of commits (and
rollbacks) and this may need to be disabled or scaled back.  We are
seeing locking and deadlock problems where there should be none.