openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject SerialVersionUIDs
Date Mon, 19 May 2008 16:19:59 GMT
Earlier today I changed the serialVersionUIDs for DetachedStateManager in
trunk and the 1.0.x branch.

At the time I thought that those were the only branches where we specified
the UID, but it looks like it's present in the 1.1.x branch as well. the
1.1.x branch can certainly be updated as well, but with 1.1.0 nearly out the
door it's a little late to make the change.

The original problem was that we encountered an inconsistent
serialVersionUID, depending on the JVM (OPENJPA-559). In that JIRA a
serialUID was added, but it was based on version from trunk, not the version
found in 1.0.x.

As a result we were compatible between JVMs but not between releases ie if
you serialized a DetachedStateManager on version 1.0.2 or 1.0.1 it could not
be deserialized on 1.2.x. Switching the value to the one that was generated
on 1.0.2 allows the deserialization to work. We've changed a method name
(throwing off the generated serial uid) but it doesn't appear to be an
incompatible change (ie no fields were removed etc).

Since the original change was made to the 1.1.x branch we either need to
hold up 1.1.0 and update its copy or  undo this morning's changes and deal
with a break in compatibility between 1.0.2 and 1.0.3 and onward.

Does anyone have a strong preference?

-mike