openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Patrick Linskey <plins...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Approve OpenJPA 1.1.0 release
Date Thu, 15 May 2008 19:20:11 GMT
>>> What we need to vote on are the (reproducible) release artifacts:
>>> the source and binary distributions with asc and md5 sig/
>>> checksums; and the maven artifacts that will go into the mirrored
>>> maven repository.
>>
>> Sadly, our process does not seem to support generating such an
>> artifact.
>
> Then how will the maven artifacts get published?
>>

>> I do not understand what you mean by "reproducible";
>
> Reinforcing that you should be able to create the same artifacts by
> running the scripts again. No manual to-and-fro should be involved.

 From [1], the last step in the release process is:

$ find . \ -name m2-repository -not -path "*openjpa-project*" -exec
mvn -f /tmp/maven-stage-plugin/pom.xml stage:copy -Dsource=file://{} -
Dtarget=scp://people.apache.org/www/people.apache.org/repo/m2-ibiblio-
rsync-repository \ -Dversion=1.0.1 \;

My understanding is that once that script is run, the contents are
uploaded to the non-snapshot mvn repository. I.e., if I were to run
that script, things would be released to the wild. That sounds to me
like something that should happen only once the release is approved,
and not before.

So, in other words, the semi-automatic process documented at [1] takes
the output that I've linked to and pushes it to the mvn repo directly.

As I pointed out, I think that there is room for improving this
process. I would rather, however, cut out the mvn artifacts from the
1.1.0 release than spend the next days rushing through trying to learn
about mvn's world view when it comes to further mvn automation.

>> this was all generated in exactly the same manner as prior
>> (approved) OpenJPA releases, with the exception that we're now
>> generating md5 and asc files for more of the artifacts.
>
> And we have had problems with subsequent maven artifact postings,
> which I want to fix by having more oversight earlier.

It was my understanding that the only issue that we've encountered in
the previous releases was the lack of signed artifacts. I believe that
the work that I've done addresses that. As I mentioned above, since
our process deploys directly to the mvn repo, I know of no way to
validate that that's the case. Further, I am not scared of directly
(manually) updating the mvn repo; I was under the impression that it
was the artifacts, and not the process, that needed voting / approval.

>> I see lots of m2-repository contents that would seem to conform to
>> what maven expects, but I'm no maven expert:
>>
>> http://openjpa.apache.org/builds/1.1.0/apache-openjpa/m2-repository/org/apache/openjpa/apache-openjpa/1.1.0/
>
> These directories are not proper maven repositories, so a subset of
> these artifacts then need to be copied to completely different
> directories. How will this be done? Why can't they be copied "now"
> to a temporary maven repo so they can be vetted?

I have no idea what "proper maven repositories" look like.

How about this: let's get rid of all the mvn artifacts from the 1.1.0
release, and focus instead just on the binary and source zips.

-Patrick

[1] http://openjpa.apache.org/releasing-openjpa.html

--
Patrick Linskey