openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: commit
Date Thu, 29 May 2008 17:52:54 GMT
Good observation. Please file a JIRA and a test case.

Seems like OpenJPA should keep track of whether a jdbc Connection was
ever acquired by the transaction. Not sure how to know whether read
locks were acquired...

So are you suggesting that OpenJPA should *always* commit the
transaction?

Craig

On May 29, 2008, at 10:14 AM, David Wisneski wrote:

> I appears that when running in a RESOURCE_LOCAL environment with a
> nonJTA datasource, in either J2EE or J2SE,  when an application calls
> EntityManager.getEntityTransaction().commit()  a sql commit may or may
> not actually occur.  If there are no updated objects flushed to the
> database, then the commit is quietly ignored.   However,  the user may
> be holding read locks if the transactionIsolation was repeatable-read
> and these locks will not be released.  The user may have done
> nativeSQL which may or may not have done updates or the user may have
> obtained the connection from the Broker and have done his or her own
> sql directly to the database.
>
> OpenJPA is being too aggressive in its optimization of commits (and
> rollbacks) and this may need to be disabled or scaled back.  We are
> seeing locking and deadlock problems where there should be none.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!