openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <michael.d.d...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: OPENJPA-149
Date Thu, 17 Apr 2008 13:55:34 GMT
Essentially that's the case. OpenJPA-159 is the JIRA that deals with
creating a doNonTransactionalWork(Runnable r) method on the ManagedRuntime
classes. When that's committed a GeronimoManagedRuntime class could be
written that does whatever needs to be done for Geronimo. Similarly the
existing ManagedRuntimes for WebLogic / SunOne / <insert your favorite app
server here> could be updated to take advantage of the new interface.

OpenJPA-149 is specific to WebSphere and will add a ManagedRuntime that can
handle WebSphere's tweaks. In this case it's not quite as simple as just
calling a methods via reflection.

In order to do the non transactional work in WebSphere we need to provide a
class which implements a proprietary interface. It's rather tricky to do so
when we can't compile against the interface though. We solved a similar
problem for previous releases by using bytecode weaving to add an interface
to a class after we compiled it. The same approach will work, but it's
counter intuitive. We received the appropriate legal clearance from
WebSphere to use their compiled classes, but I wanted to make sure adding
them to SVN was "kosher" before I commit them.

-Mike