openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From rlv j <Nathan.John...@RheinLand-Versicherungen.de>
Subject License of enhanced or transformed code
Date Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:17:36 GMT

As I understand it, OpenJPA modifies your code (in the form of Java .class
files) to add persistency abilities, presumably adding code from OpenJPA
to the code being modified to create a combined work.  Is this so, and is
the resulting combination subject to the Apache License? I think it is
something that users of OpenJPA in general should concern themselves with
and it would be appropriate to feature in your documentation.

Transformations to the classes are done even if the Enhancer isn't run on
the .class files in advance of running, aren't they?

I mailed apache.org regarding this, and recieved the response:
>If the OpenJPA PMC had not already addressed this issue, then they should
consult with our legal committee.

I thank you much for your contribution to the community and in advance for
your reply.