openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Reece Garrett" <RGAR...@co.pierce.wa.us>
Subject Re: Serialization problem
Date Wed, 12 Mar 2008 20:36:37 GMT
Craig,

Thanks for your response. I think what you suggest would be an excellent feature to have but
I'm not sure it would address my issue. Basically I need to know if a field was set to null
because:

A) it was in an active fetch group and the retrieved value was null,
B) the field was not in an active fetch group and was never initialized.

If A is true then I serialize an empty node for that field. If B is true then I skip the field.

Originally I had my setter methods add the field's name to a list which I later used to determine
which fields were involved in a fetch and thus needed to be serialized (null or not). However,
 my logs indicate that OpenJPA initializes all fields to null (using the setter methods) before
populating persistence capable objects so all of my fields end up in the list...no good. I
could do something hacky like only store a field's name if it is either set to a non-null
value or set to null at least twice (once for initialization and then again if the value pulled
is null). I would rather not do that.

Why not just use the default constructor instead of explicitly setting all fields to null?
Is there anything I can do about this behavior?

-Reece

>>> Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@Sun.COM> 3/11/2008 6:15 PM >>>
Hi Reece,
The original design for fetch plans comes from JDO, where you can specify both fields to load
and fields to unload (setting their Java value to null) before serializing them.

So the only impact of an unloaded field is to write null to the output stream.

I'm not sure whether the unload fields ever made it into a JIRA for OpenJPA. You can see some
of the dialog here: http://www.mail-archive.com/open-jpa-dev@incubator.apache.org/msg01663.html

It seems to me that adding the ability to specify that fields should be unloaded would address
your requirement quite well.

Craig