openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: OpenJPA Release Policy
Date Mon, 04 Feb 2008 21:41:25 GMT
Hi Albert,

Thanks for your comments.

On Feb 2, 2008, at 8:22 PM, Albert Lee wrote:

> * Major release - Should the major release parallels to the JPA spec
> numbering?

Well, I think we should bump the major release number to correspond to
JPA spec number where it makes sense. But we don't control JPA spec
numbering. We might choose to make a 2.1.0 release some months or
years after JPA 2.0 comes out, and then JPA is updated to a 2.1
release. At that point, we're out of sync. (Note that Java EE 6
proposes EJB 3.1 and JPA 2.0)

> * Backward compatibility - I just want clarifications on the following
> scenario:
>
>  - application compiled in (n)th release can execute in (n+1)th
> release
> without re-compilation.
>  - application, with no source change, re-compiles in (n+1)th
> release can
> execute in (n)th release.
>  - application, with source change that use new functions, re-
> compiles in
> (n+1)th release can only be executed in (n+1)th release.

We have x.y.z numbering. It's not clear what your n and n+1 refer to
above. The policy as I've tried to summarize as the consensus is that
major releases have no guarantee of compatibility, as methods might be
removed or signatures changed to follow specification updates or to
add new features. Minor releases and patch releases do guarantee
compatibility.

Do you want to try to guarantee source and or binary compatibility, or
just have it as a goal?

Craig

> Thanks,
> Albert Lee.
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 5:40 PM, Craig L Russell <Craig.Russell@sun.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to formalize our release policy. Please take a look at
>> http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=55076
>> and comment.
>>
>> I'd like to remove the *DRAFT* status of the policy next week.
>>
>> Craig
>>
>> Craig Russell
>> jdo
>> 408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com