openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Line endings
Date Thu, 07 Feb 2008 16:50:55 GMT
We can probably not lose history when converting if we examine all the
as-is files and make the change on the appropriate machine.

If they have DOS line endings, set the eol-style property to native on
a DOS machine. No changes.

If they have UNIX line endings, set the eol-style property to native
on a UNIX machine. No changes.

Craig

On Feb 7, 2008, at 8:01 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> On the downside, the file that was in DOS line endings was
>> converted on
>> the server and recorded in the change notice as the entire file
>> changing.
>
> I really don't like the idea of losing all this easy history. Is this
> line-ending stuff really a problem? Don't most modern text editors
> support multiple line endings?
>
> It seems a waste to lose all that data just to make things easier for
> Notepad users....
>
> -Patrick
>
> On Feb 7, 2008 6:09 AM, David Ezzio <dezzio@apache.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Based on an experiment, it looks like the regimentation of existing
>> files to native will be easy to perform.
>>
>> In r619411, I changed two files from as-is to native.  One was
>> present
>> on my client with Unix line endings and one was present with DOS line
>> endings.  I changed the eol property for both files to native and
>> committed.  When updated from the server, they both came down with
>> DOS
>> line endings, the appropriate native translation for my Windows
>> machine.
>>
>> On the downside, the file that was in DOS line endings was
>> converted on
>> the server and recorded in the change notice as the entire file
>> changing.
>>
>> I propose that I find an hour or two next week and regiment all files
>> with a non-native setting to the native setting (about 60% of the
>> code
>> base).
>>
>> David
>>

>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> I think infra strongly suggest everyone uses these svn client
>>> settings
>>> to avoid most of this kind of problem:
>>>
>>> http://www.apache.org/dev/svn-eol-style.txt
>>>
>>> I think there are scripts to help normalize stuff that has strayed
>>> from
>>> these recommendations but I'm not sure where they are.
>>>
>>> thanks
>>> david jencks

> --
> Patrick Linskey