openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Pinaki Poddar" <ppod...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Extension to OpenJPA for distributed databases
Date Fri, 01 Feb 2008 00:16:55 GMT
Hi Kevin,
    Thank you for your interest and valued suggestion.

   > Is this support meant for databases that do not support partitions
directly?
Slice is targeted for environments with multiple stand-alone database
instances, possibly even heterogeneous. If an application wants to bring
data from these database instances into a *single* in-memory persistence
context then Slice can be useful.
For database vendor that supports horizontal partitioning, one will be
better off with standard OpenJPA, and of course, data distribution then
becomes a decision around partition key rather than a user-defined
policy plug-in.

 > The DistributionPolicy interface seems a bit limiting.
The contract is Slice calls back with list of configured slice and a
newly persistence-capable instance X, user tells which slice should
store X.

> The slice names in the configuration can not change without a
corresponding change in the DistributionPolicy callback.
  Yes and No. I am thinking what to do with this issue and thank you for
your input. However, one guiding principle I will like to adhere to
 "Entity classes must be agonistic of the partitioned database
environment".

  Why I said No: Let us consider a concrete example. I am going to store
all Person whose name is less than 'John Doe' in the first slice and
rest in another. So my DistributionPolicy implementaion looks like

  String distribute(Object pc, List<String> slices, Object ctx) {
   if (((Person)pc).getName().compareTo("John Doe") > 0)
      return slices.get(0);
   return slices.get(1);

 In my configuration how the slices are logically named is immaterial in
such a case. I can call them
   <property name="slice.One.ConnectionURL" value="jdbc://URL1"/>
   <property name="slice.Two.ConnectionURL" value="jdbc://URL2"/>

 And later edit them to
   <property name="slice.ABC.ConnectionURL" value="jdbc://URL1"/>
   <property name="slice.XYZ.ConnectionURL" value="jdbc://URL2"/>

without any change in application behavior.

  > Maybe the callback could return an opaque Object based on whatever
(key?) that could then be used by our runtime to determine the proper
slice?  With ObjectGrid, we did this via a PartitionableKey interface
that the primary key would have to implement.

   "via a PartitionableKey interface that the primary key would have to
implement." -- this is what possibly violates my guiding principle.
But may be I need to understand your suggested solution.

 > When you mention possible "parallel execution", are you assuming the
use of the openjpa "multithreaded" property for the EntityManagers?  Or,
   would this parallel execution utilize separate EntityManagers?

 Neither. A single EntityManager E uses a DistributedStoreManager DM
which in turn holds connection to many database DB1,DB2 etc. Now when
JPQL query Q is issued by E, DM runs the same SQL query against DB1, DB2
-- but each SQL query is executed on separate thread drawn from a pool.
The results of each query is collected, merged with ordering and
returned to the caller as a single result list.

  > On first read, this support looks to be very cool for top-down
development.  Depending on your response to the first bullet, I find it
  > harder to understand how a customer might already have a poor-man's
version of partitioning and work upwards.  Just thinking outloud...

  We have to wait for people to use it to know whether this makes sense.
Andy Schlaikjer is our first user trying it on 100 database instances.
May be Andy should comment.

  Regards and thanks again for your interest --

Pinaki