openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Proposal for a 'contrib' space in openjpa repository
Date Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:59:04 GMT

On Dec 22, 2007, at 6:56 AM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

>> c) A non-committer should be able to contribute to the 'contrib'
>> space
>
> I'm not sure about Apache policy, but I think that this might be a
> problem.

We can use the existing policy to cover this case. As long as a
contributor signs the ICLA and uploads the contribution via our
normal JIRA patch process, and a committer reviews and commits the
contribution, it's ok.

What's not obvious to me is how to package and build the extensions.
We might want to set up a new directory in the top level that
contains a number of self-contained maven projects, each of which
builds a jar.

We can probably create a maven archetype specifically for this
purpose, and put the archetype definition into the new directory.

% cd openjpa/trunk/extensions
trunk/extensions % ls
pom.xml
db4o

trunk/extensions % mvn archetype:create -
DgroupId=org.apache.openjpa.extensions -DartifactId=loosely-typed -
DarchetypeArtifactId=openjpa-extensions

trunk/extensions % ls
pom.xml
db4o
loosely-typed

We need to think carefully about what to call these extensions, so
it's clear that they're not supported, endorsed, built, or
distributed by the project. But in future, we might want to build and
distribute them if they turn out to be useful. But at that point, we
might promote them to their own endorsed sub-project (e.g. trunk/
openjpa-db4o).

Craig

> -Patrick
>
> On Dec 17, 2007 8:23 PM, Pinaki Poddar <ppoddar@bea.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> OpenJPA architecture allows extensible feature derivations for
>> various
>> purposes such as non-relational datastores, customized mapping
>> strategies support for loosely-typed data structures etc.
>> To promote contributions from wider community of users and
>> developers,
>> here is a proposal:
>> a) A 'contrib' space should be created in OpenJPA SVN repository for
>> sharing any such contributions with the community.
>> b) The entires in the 'contrib' space should neither imapct the build
>> process or nor be a part of the distribution package. However, the
>> entries must be available with requisite artifacts (e.g. source,
>> build
>> script, docs) for interested parties to build the extension and
>> use with
>> core openjpa downloads.
>> c) A non-committer should be able to contribute to the 'contrib'
>> space
>>
>> d) the contributions must adhere to the coding conventions and other
>> software conventions followd by OpenJPA
>>
>>   Regards --
>>
>> Pinaki

>> contain information  of  BEA Systems,  Inc.,  its subsidiaries
>> and  affiliated entities,  that may be confidential,
>> proprietary,  copyrighted  and/or legally privileged, and is
>> intended solely for the use of the individual or entity named in
>> this message. If you are not the intended recipient, and have
>> received this message in error, please immediately return this by
>> email and then delete it.
>>

> --
> Patrick Linskey
> 202 669 5907