openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Cloning Calendar proxies
Date Thu, 04 Oct 2007 20:00:40 GMT
Hi,
It seems that the IBM JDK is cloning a Calendar object when performing the
.equals() method.  If I call .equals() on one of our Calendar proxy objects,
the underlying implementation seems to be cloning the object before
determining the equality.  While using this cloned object, one of the setter
methods is called.  Since this is a cloned Calendar proxy, we do some
processing to access the associated StateManager.  But, that requires access
to a Broker and there is no Broker instance associated with this cloned
object and we end up throwing an IllegalStateException.  Due to that
exception, the .equals() always returns false.

So, before I start experimenting with various fix strategies, I'm looking
for some guidance from the original developers...

o  Should we override the clone() method?  And, if we do, should we be
returning a non-proxy version of a Calendar object?  Or, should we ensure
that a fully populated Calendar proxy object get returned?

o  Or, should we think about overriding the .equals method on the Calendar
proxies?  I'm not too thrilled with this since then we'll be attempting to
implement the javadoc for these object types.

Whatever we determine will probably apply to all of our proxy object types,
even though we're only hitting this problem with the Calendar proxy due to
the IBM JDK.

Thoughts or suggestions?
Kevin