openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Dain Sundstrom <d...@iq80.com>
Subject Re: Unenhanced Classes
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2007 03:05:40 GMT
On Aug 9, 2007, at 6:26 PM, Patrick Linskey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Some brief notes:
>
>>    In Java5 without an agent and enhancement, what doesn't work
>> perfectly (I don't care about performance issues)?
>
> - Lazy loading on user-created instances after flush

What is this and is this something the user would notice?  Also, is
this something that can be fixed or is this just the way it works?

> - generated value field / property access will not materialize the
> generated value automatically

Can I force the generated value to materialize somehow, and as above
is this something that we can fix?

>>    Does the Java6 redefine code work?
>
> Yes, in at least Sun's Java 6 configurations.

Super cool!  I can't wait to read that code over.

>>    In OpenEJB we don't use the OpenJPA agent (we have our own).  What
>> do we have to do to get Java6 redefine working with OpenJPA?
>
> Nothing. But if you've got your own agent and you know the list of
> persistent types up-front, you might want to consider doing automatic
> runtime enhancement instead of automatic runtime redefinition.

We do, but there are some embedded cases where a class can be loaded
before we are even launched.  So how do you get ahold of the
Instrumentation instance (so you can call redefine) if your agent
isn't loaded?

-dain