openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible?
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 19:36:59 GMT
Hi Aditi,

In order to use the JSR 220 Persistence API you need to run in Java
5. OpenJPA itself currently supports jdk 1.4 but to use it in 1.4
mode you have to use only the 1.4 components, that is, proprietary
OpenJPA components.

Hope that helps,

Craig

On Aug 12, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Das, Aditi wrote:

> Hi,
> Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible? I was trying out writing JPA without
> using
> annotations on Entities but writing a orm.xml instead..
>
> When I try running my application with OpenJPA in jdk1.4 enviorment I
> get the following error:
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: javax/persistence/Persistence
> (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
>
> That means,  I am trying to run Java 5 compliant byte code in a
> Java 1.4
> VM. But there are quite a few places in the code I have seen "if
> (JavaVersions.VERSION >= 5) {"
>
> check present. That means it certainly has options to run in Java 1.4
> enviorment.
>
> Even maven builds few projects of openJPA in jdk1.4 enviorment.
>
> I guess, I am missing out something. Do I have to call OpenJPA api
> directly without going through JPA specification in jdk1.4 enviorment?
>
> Any poineters to this will be highly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
> Aditi
> I am not the best, but certainly not like the rest.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com
P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!