openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: multiple xml mapping files found on classpath
Date Tue, 28 Aug 2007 16:54:14 GMT
On 8/28/07, Patrick Linskey <plinskey@gmail.com> wrote:

> <mapping-file> identifies a resource, not a file (despite the name).
> In general, we try to handle resources on the assumption that there
> might be more than one.
>
> Personally, I think that the current behavior is the most appropriate.
> Imagine that you are working on a project that has multiple teams
> contributing XML mapping files. What happens if each team builds a
> separate jar that contributes to the same PU but creates mapping files
> with the same names? The current behavior is more tolerant of such
> configurations.

After I wrote up the note on this topic, I was starting to think along these
same lines.  This type of processing would also be consistent with the
processing of the generic orm.xml resource.

I can see a strong case for throwing an exception if multiple
> resources are found, also -- that would be my second preference.

Agree.  We either have to process all discovered resources with the given
name or we have to thrown an exception.  At this point, I am leaning towards
allowing the current behavior of multiple xml mapping resources.  Unless
someone finds a spec reference that indicates we're doing the wrong thing...

Kevin

I think that just choosing one would be undesirable, since it would