openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <>
Subject Limitations of eager fetching?
Date Thu, 23 Aug 2007 14:12:23 GMT
Hi Guys,
Can someone help me interpret a limitation specified in section 7.2:

   - Once OpenJPA eager-joins into a class, it cannot issue any further
   eager to-many joins or parallel selects from that class in the same query.
   To-one joins, however, can recurse to any level.

So, if I have the following code, am I hitting this limitation?

public abstract class AbstractCustomer implements Serializable {

    @OneToOne(fetch = FetchType.EAGER)
    @JoinColumns({@JoinColumn(name="OPEN_ORDER", referencedColumnName =
    protected Order openOrder;

public class Order implements Serializable {

    protected Set<LineItem> lineitems;

In order to load all LineItems Eagerly, I have to start from Order (vs
starting from Customer).

If I do an em.find() on Customer.  Even if I specify Eager from Order to
LineItems, it will not load the LineItems Eagerly.  Only if I do an
em.findon the Order will I get the Join because LineItems is a

Have I interpretted the limitation correctly?  And, if so, can somebody
provide some background on this limitation and what it would take to remove
it?  I'm still not 100% comfortable with this area of the code...  :-)