openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <mik...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Null schema name when generating tables?
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2007 17:21:08 GMT
<snip>

The question I have is whether this could be changed to pull the userid from
> the Connection object, if the configured schema name is null, of course.
> This way, if the user has configured a schema name, it would be
> used.  But,
> if no schema name is configured, then we would use the userid of the
> Connection object.  If there is no security associated with a given
> database
> (ie. Derby), this would still default to null and we'd be processing as we
> do today.  But, in the case of secure databases (ie. DB2, Oracle, etc), we
> would use the userid from the Connection object.
>
> Would there be a problem with this approach?

I think this approach would work for DB2, but I'm not convinced it's the
correct thing to do.

I don't like the idea of assuming that the username is also the default
schema name. I believe that happens to be the case for many databases but I
don't know whether it's mandated by the specification.

Even if it is recommended / mandated by the SQL or JDBC spec(s) we'd be
ignoring any DB specific settings. MikesPhonyDB might allow users to specify
a default in a properties file. This is a bad example, but in this case we
should let the Database determine the appropriate schema to use.

That being said I haven't looked at the code in this area and there might be
a better way to query for a table.

-Mike