openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael Dick" <mik...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API discussion
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 18:47:34 GMT
<snip>

2. Break the openjpa-persistence and openjpa-persistence-jdbc modules
> into separate modules for API and SPI. This would require repackaging
> the current impl classes (EntityManagerImpl etc.) into a new
> sub-package, in order to work with the OSGi model (it is my
> understanding that OSGi does not allow multiple bundles (jars) to
> contribute to the same package), but would provide strong compile-time
> guarantees and a more formal contract.

+1

Having a separate maven module for the APIs should be easier to consume for
other maven users. Also this approach seems easier to maintain once we're
done. If we invent a build procedure we'll have to ensure that it's
compatible with maven version.next.

The impact to current users should be minimal if we only change the packages
on implementation classes and shouldn't raise too many red flags since we
haven't shipped v1.0 yet.

-Mike