openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Patrick Linskey" <plins...@gmail.com>
Subject configuration of non-standard field types
Date Mon, 20 Aug 2007 19:18:09 GMT
Hi,

OpenJPA supports a number of field types beyond what is listed in the
JPA spec. How should people designate that such fields are to be
persisted?

Currently, I believe that people must annotate such fields with
@Persistent. (We may have an exception for the new XML stuff in this
case.) I think that it'd be useful for us to have a consistent story
for these situations.

We should come up with a consistent rule of thumb that will work for
both the new XML code and the code that Ignacio has been working on
for OPENJPA-130.

I think that at the least, we should automatically install
FieldStrategies for all the fields that we can handle.

Should we require @Persistent for non-JPA field types, or
automatically persist them if we know how to?

-Patrick

--
Patrick Linskey
202 669 5907