openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [RESCIND VOTE] Approve OpenJPA 1.0.0 release
Date Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:58 GMT

I started experiencing it recently too, as has Patrick.

I dug a little, and I think I found the problem: it looks like the
Maven surefire unit test plugin defaults to forking the tests, and it
doesn't seem to pass on the Maven max memory option. So it seems that
our tests were running with the system JVMs default max memory
(which, IIRC, is something like 16m). I'm somewhat surprised that we
never ran into OOME errors before this. We probably just added one or
two more tests that took us over the edge in terms of memory use.

Putting the following in the surefire plugin section seems to fix the
problem:

    <argLine>-Xmx500m</argLine>

Additionally, the tests seems to now run much faster than before with
that new flag, so that's nice.

I'll commit that change shortly, unless anyone has any other ideas.