openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API discussion: dependencies between modules
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 21:43:23 GMT

This is a show-stopper if we were to refactor the code into different
maven modules, since you can't have circular dependencies between
modules (e.g., openjpa-persistence-public-api couldn't depend on
openjpa-persistence if openjpa-persistence itself depeneds on openjpa-
persistence-public-api).

My suggestion for this kind of thing would be that if our API has
some method like:

    public SomeInternalClass getFoo()

then we would instead add a SomeInternalBogusInterface with no
methods that is opaque to the user, and which SomeInternalClass will
implement. The advantage to this is that our public APIs couldn't
then have a transitive dependency on non-public APIs, which I think
is beneficial from an API consistency standpoint.