openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Pinaki Poddar" <ppod...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Names of patches for jira issues
Date Sat, 11 Aug 2007 16:33:54 GMT
Hi Craig,
My suggestion was to add a serial version number to the patch,
irrespective of authorship.

1. Author A submits first patch: OPENJPA-123.1.patch
2. Author A updates the patch  : OPENJPA-123.2.patch
3. Author B comes up with an alternative patch: OPENJPA-123.3.patch

Pinaki Poddar
972.834.2865

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig.Russell@Sun.COM [mailto:Craig.Russell@Sun.COM]
Sent: Saturday, August 11, 2007 11:29 AM
To: dev@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Re: Names of patches for jira issues

Hi Pinaki,

On Aug 10, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Pinaki Poddar wrote:

> +1
>
> A small addition to Craig's proposed convention:
> ppenjpa-xxx.z.patch or openjpa-xxx.z.txt where xxx is the JIRA issue
> number and z is the patch number as often there are multiple versions
> of the patch on the same issue.

I like this idea. Elaborating, if the patch is updated by the author,
the same name should be used, e.g. openjpa-158.patch is the first patch.
If the patch is updated, openjpa-158.patch replaces the original. Jira
knows to make available for download only the latest version of a patch
with the same name.

If another patch is added, to cover some additional cases,if the
original patch is committed, or if someone else has a different view of
the fix, then openjpa-158.2.patch, openjpa-158.3.patch, and
openjpa-158.4.patch could be used.

Is that what you had in mind?

Craig