openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Pinaki Poddar" <ppod...@bea.com>
Subject RE: Equivalent class in OpenJPA.
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 14:46:52 GMT
1.
 Try using named/positional parameters in JPQL.

 Query query = session.createQuery("select model from GeneralConfigDTO
model where model.name = ?cname");
 query.setParameter("cname", configName);

 or

 Query query = session.createQuery("select model from GeneralConfigDTO
model where model.name = :1"); // index starts from 1
 query.setParameter(1, configName);

 If the query being executed multiple times, binding parameters will
save repeated query compilation.

2. It may be useful to post the exact SQL being used by Hibernate &
OpenJPA.

Pinaki Poddar
972.834.2865

-----Original Message-----
From: Sreedhar.sirigiri [mailto:sreedhar.sirigiri@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 8:22 AM
To: dev@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Equivalent class in OpenJPA.

Hi All,

We are porting our application from Hibernate to OpenJPA in the Database
tier. We faced performance problems while processing the JPQL queries.

here are the sample code snippets:

Hibernate:

//do something

Criteria criteria = session.createCriteria(GeneralConfigDTO.class);
criteria.add(Expression.eq("name", configName)); GeneralConfigDTO
configDTO = (GeneralConfigDTO)criteria.uniqueResult();

//do something

OpenJPA:
//do something

Query query = session.createQuery("select model from GeneralConfigDTO
model where model.name = '"+configName+"'"); try{
  GeneralConfigDTO configDTO =
(GeneralConfigDTO)query.getSingleResult();
}catch(NoResultException nre){
  configDTO = null;
}catch(NonUniqueResultException ure){
  configDTO = null;
}

//do something

We have around 21 tuples in the relation "GeneralConfigDTO".

The Hibernate code snippet is getting executed in around 20msecs,
whereas, OpenJPA code snippet is taking around 400msecs, which is
accounting for overall performance of the Application.

The reason why we went for JPQL is because, we didn't find an equivalent
Hibernate's "Criteria" class in OpenJPA.

Is there any configurations that we have to do to optimize JPQL queries.

Is there any equivalent class for "Criteria" in OpenJPA.

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Sreedhar Sirigiri.