openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From Marc Prud'hommeaux <mprud...@apache.org>
Subject Re: API discussion
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2007 19:07:09 GMT

-0. I very much like the idea of separating out our published APIs
into maven modules (both because we would then have the
infrastructure to enforce that incompatible changes don't get
introduces in minor releases, as well as having the ability to easily
publish an API jar should we so desire).

However, I am concerned with the refactoring. In my experience with
changing package names, while trivial to implement, always leads to
problems. Since we don't currently support OSGi (I don't think we
have even discussed OSGi plans in the lists), I don't see why we need
to bind goal A (separating of the API/SPI into separate packages)
with goal B (moving the implementations into different sub-packages).
We underwent a fair amount of effort to ship only a single aggregate
jar of all of OpenJPA, rather than jars for each of the individual
modules, so this wouldn't even affect anyone currently using OpenJPA
in any context other than having a Maven dependency on the separate
module jars.

That being said, I'll just vote a -0, and will happily accede to the
sentiment of the community should it differ with mine.