openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Names of patches for jira issues
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2007 16:26:55 GMT

On Aug 11, 2007, at 10:38 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Pikaki,
>
> The reason I suggested using the same name is to reduce confusion
> when a patch is intended to replace a previous version. Then it
> makes sense to reuse the same name.

My experience with this is that its unnecessary to have a version
suffix on the first patch of a series but that having a different
name for each patch version is a really good idea.  If you have
several patch versions with the same name it gets really hard to say
"OPENJPA-123.2.patch from july 12 at 8:32 fixed problem A but
introduced problems B and C compared to OPENJPA-123.2.patch from july
12 at 9:41"

I like OPENJPA-123-2.patcch but that's probably just because it's the
style I've been using.

thanks
david jencks