openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Das, Aditi" <Aditi....@schwab.com>
Subject RE: Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible?
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2007 00:27:33 GMT
Thanks Craig, that was helpful.
I was probably too ambitiously thinking I can make JPA minus annotations
run on Java 1.4 enviorment :)

-----Original Message-----
From: Craig.Russell@Sun.COM [mailto:Craig.Russell@Sun.COM]
Sent: Sunday, August 12, 2007 12:37 PM
To: dev@openjpa.apache.org
Subject: Re: Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible?

Hi Aditi,

In order to use the JSR 220 Persistence API you need to run in Java 5.
OpenJPA itself currently supports jdk 1.4 but to use it in 1.4 mode you
have to use only the 1.4 components, that is, proprietary OpenJPA
components.

Hope that helps,

Craig

On Aug 12, 2007, at 12:13 PM, Das, Aditi wrote:

> Hi,
> Is OpenJPA jdk1.4 compatible? I was trying out writing JPA without
> using annotations on Entities but writing a orm.xml instead..
>
> When I try running my application with OpenJPA in jdk1.4 enviorment I
> get the following error:
> java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError: javax/persistence/Persistence
> (Unsupported major.minor version 49.0)
>
> That means,  I am trying to run Java 5 compliant byte code in a Java
> 1.4 VM. But there are quite a few places in the code I have seen "if
> (JavaVersions.VERSION >= 5) {"
>
> check present. That means it certainly has options to run in Java 1.4
> enviorment.
>
> Even maven builds few projects of openJPA in jdk1.4 enviorment.
>
> I guess, I am missing out something. Do I have to call OpenJPA api
> directly without going through JPA specification in jdk1.4 enviorment?
>
> Any poineters to this will be highly appreciated.
>

> Regards,
> Aditi
> I am not the best, but certainly not like the rest.

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com P.S. A good JDO? O, Gasp!