openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Non-enhancement of Entities (OPENJPA-293) questions
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 19:50:26 GMT
Patrick,
I haven't had the time to study all of your proposed changes for OPENJPA-293
and the related Issues, but I was wondering if you could enlighten my on a
couple of topics...

1)  How does this automatic persistence-capable feature mesh with the
automatic container enhancement of Entities?  That is, I would hope that if
an application server (ie. Container) is in the picture, then this new
automatic persistence-capable feature stays dormant.  I wouldn't want to
attempt to mix these two environments.  If the container misses the
enhancement of an Entity (due to a bug or something), I wouldn't want this
new feature to kick in and possibly confuse the runtime environment of the
container and the associated OpenJPA runtime.

2)  Is there a means to turn off this new feature?  For example, suppose I
have an existing OpenJPA environment where I am either statically or
dynamically enhancing the Entities and I'm happy with this setup.  But, then
I upgrade to a new version of OpenJPA with this new automatic
persistence-capable feature and I start to get difficult-to-diagnose
problems because some of my classes were pre-enhanced while others used this
new feature.  I would like the ability to turn off this new feature if I
wish to run solely with the enhancement mechanism.

3)  To that end, I would assume that this new automatic persistence-capable
feature is the default action since we want the out-of-the-box experience to
be as easy as possible.

4)  What are we going to call this new automatic persistence-capable
feature?  :-)  I think we were just getting our users (existing and
potential) used to the "enhancement" concept and now we're throwing in a new
wrinkle.  Maybe you've already nicknamed the support.  I just couldn't find
a reference to it.

Thanks,
Kevin