openjpa-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin Sutter" <kwsut...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: 1.0 steps?
Date Mon, 09 Jul 2007 16:50:52 GMT

> What is remaining to get to a 1.0 release? Are there any things in
> particular that people think are important to work on? Maybe it's
> about time for us to create a branch for 1.0 finalization and
> hardening.

This probably depends on what our goal is for a 1.0 release.  If it's just
to have a 1.0 release since we graduated to a TLP, then we're probably close
to starting that process.  But, if we are looking for a certain level and
hardness of function, then we still may have a fews things to clean up.  I'm
okay with going for a 1.0 release just to have one, but I would then like to
start working on defining the follow-on release (1.0.1 or 1.1).

No matter what type of 1.0 release we decide to go for, maybe we should
incorporate the voting mechanism within JIRA to help determine what Issues
are important?  I am not totally familiar with this process, but it allows
users to vote on the Issues that are most important to them.  Each user is
allowed a certain number of votes (to keep them from voting for "all"
Issues).  We can use that as input to our selection criteria.

But, before we open up for a vote, do we need some time to review all of the
open Issues and assert 1.0 vs post-1.0?  Something along the lines of what
Patrick did for the previous release?  I just find it kind of difficult to
be working on various problems and then "ding", the timer goes off and we've
cut off development for a given release.  It's probably time to start
working out a candidate release cycle and content.

Kevin